Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax Lens Adapter
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:06:13 EDT

Gerd, The adapter that Cambridge is offering is most likely a Contax RF
(Germany) to Leica screwmount. There are several of these around. The most
famous is the Orion adapter (1949-1952), this one is quite rare and is a high
end collectible ( $1000+). There were also several versions of these adapters
made in UK in the 50's.( Perkins?). They allow Leica Screwmount bodies to
accept Contax RF ( and sometimes Nikon RF lenses) while retaining full
rangefinder focussing capability. I have had several of these over the years
and I still have one left that I use with Contax/Nikon lenses. The version
offered by Cambridge is probably the japanese made adapter. It uses the focus
helicoil from a Nikon rangefinder (as well as the distance scale). It works
very well on most lenses from the 28 to 85 mm. I found that mounting my Biogon
21/4,5 ( Contax mount) I had problem with jamming the focussing roller of the
M camera. I have used this adapter with 28 Nikon/35 Biogon and a 85/2 Sonnar
and Nikon. Works very well. The high price is justified as it has its own
helicoil,scale and is actually very well made. The Orion was the best made,
jewel like finish, polished stainless steel. The later Japanese version is
cruder, but it works.
 I have seen Contax G1/G2 adapters to Leica Screwmount in Tokyo, they again
have their own adapter with helicoil but are not rangefinder coupled.
 There are some benefits of getting an adapter like this, you expand your lens
selection considerably, plenty of great Sonnars,Tessars,Biogons as well as
some great Nikon RF optics (25/28 and 35/1,8 as well as 85/105). The Nikons
are often available as screwmounts to start with, but the selection is better
with the alternative of the adapter.
Tom A