Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bag recommendations
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:06:55 -0600

At 08:53 AM 27/07/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I've been using a Domke 803 satchel for several years.  I like it because
>of it's thinner profile than the F2, (which I use as well) and that it
>looks more like a briefcase/bag than a camera bag.

After reading a number of recommendations about the Domke, I had a look at
the F2 bag.  It is too flimsy, and lacks sufficient padding and proper
weatherproofing for the kind of photography I do.  It may be useful when
shooting from the hip for a PJ, but as an all-purpose outdoor bag it just
doesn't cut it for wilderness travel.  You might want to have a look at the
LowePro Magnum AW.  I'd bet that if it and the Domke F2 were both dropped
from waist height, equipment in the Lowepro bag would stand a better chance
of surviving the impact, because of the cushioned pockets and the thicker
padding.  In Northern Canada, in dense bush, rain, snow and muskeg, an
all-weather bag is a definite asset.  The bag retains its shape regardless
of what gets packet in it, but is still small enough to fit under an
airline seat.

- -GH