Subject: [Leica] M7
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 07:49:03 -0400

jeremy kime commented about my point regarding a shape change to the M
series body were an electronic vertical run shutter to be incorporated, a=
nd
the query regarding why.

It is quite simple really. The cloth focal plane shutter runs between a
large diameter compound roller under the shutter speed dial to two small
drums at the other side. The vertical run electronic shutters I have seen=

are controlled by a block on one side of the shutter crate and require mo=
re
height than a horizontal run device (isn't this what one would expect?).

This would, if optimally repackaged, result in a body which was probably
taller but narrower. (please note my original post said change shape not
increase size). This would result in all the tooling for the body parts t=
be obsolete. Re-tooling today for a camera of M precision and M productio=
volume, in the absence of a volume model to sweeten the pill would be
commercial suicide. I doubt if it could be profitably sold at 3 times the=

price of the current camera which is still expensive to produce even on
tooling most of which must have been amortised decades ago.

I for one would be disappointed if Leica made a camera of 90's quality,
like everybody else, just to add features that I do not need and which ar=
in any case available elsewhere for those that want them. I love the heft=
,
precision feel and handling of my M's. If I want TTL flash I have an
Olympus. For AF I have an EOS, no way could Leica feel be maintained on a=
AF lens. The weighting and damping I so much like on my manual focus lens=
es
would be anathema to any AF system causing slow autofocus and huge batter=
consumption.

As an aside I would have very much liked to buy the M6 electronic top pla=
te
at Christies just for interest's sake but had overspent my budget by the
end of the auction! A complete non working camera, presumably a prototype=
,
but utiliing a top plate such as this one was sold several years ago on t=
he
collectors market. It must in any case be several years old because the
roundel is Leitz not Leica. Obviously an idea tried out and rejected many=

years ago.

Frank =