Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica CL focusing
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:57:28 +0100

Mrhausman wrote:

>I have been using my Leica CL with a 90mm 2.8  lens and have been frustrated
>at the frequency of poorly focused shots despite stopping down the lens to at
>least f/ 5.6 and usually f/11-16 and taking GREAT pains to carefully focus. A
>salesman at Tamarkin suggested that I must use the 90 mm f/4 Rokker because
>the cam is different and matched to the CL. Does this really make a difference
>or is this simply a consequence of the short EBL of the CL's rangefinder.
>Thank you for your advice.

This sounds like a problem with the rangefinder calibration, or possibly
with the lens itself.
I've never had any problems using a 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit on my CL, though I
normally stop down to f4 or smaller at close distances for the same reasons
as you do.

Are you sure the r/f is coinciding correctly at infinity with every lens
you use? Try another 90mm at your dealers and see whether the distance
scales on the two agree.

It really shouldn't make any difference whether you use CL lenses or M
lenses despite the official Leitz line on the subject.

Though the CL's rangefinder isn't quite as positive as that on my M2 and
M3s, it's still perfectly adequate in 99% of situations.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists