Subject: [Leica] 28mm Finders
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:26:58 +0900

Reg,

=46irst I "saved" some money by buying one of the cheaper non-Leica
finders (Avenon).  Compared to a Leica finder, IMHO it is not very
bright, has more distortion, has a strange yellowish tint, and is
heavier.  After putting up with this for a couple of weeks I bought a
Leica finder, which is IMHO much, much better.

However, I recently lucked across a Soviet turret finder (from Keeble
& Shuchat---thanks, Jeff; ser #307635 w/no mfr name, in case Marc is
interested) which is pretty cool.  It is fairly bright w/no noticeable
color tint, and is selectable for 28/35/85/135/50mm views (in that
order).  It's kind of big and heavy and goofy-looking, but it's very
convenient being able to change views by just rotating the turret, and
having the 85mm and 135mm view makes using these longer lenses a bit
easier for me.  If I could get one with 21mm as well I'd be in finder
heaven, but I don't think any were made with 21mm.

You can check out Stephen Gandy's web site, www.jetlink.net/~cameras
for some useful finder information.

Regards,

PB

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998 11:29:36 +0100, Reg Ronaldson
<reg.ronaldson@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Paul,
>which separate finder do you use? I think the Leica ones are still=20
>available new in UK but very expensive. I have been looking for some=20
>time on the used market but they are not common.

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp