Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Gear & Kids
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:18:56 -0400

Mark wrote:
> >> how many list members who have kids 12 and under, and who encourage
their
> >children to
> >> explore photography.

My two daughter love photography, but when encouraged to consider it for
a career, they both say, "DAAAAAD!, we need to make a LIVing!"

donal

REPLY:

Tell me about it! The flip side is that my son graduated in May from the
School of the Museum of Fine Arts, here in Boston, after 5 years, and is now
a (n unemployed) photographer. He's been selling a lot of stuff the past
year, but unfortunately he's been selling it to skateboarding magazines and
clothing companies, who pay maybe $200 for a double page color spread, or a
catalogue cover. He wants to pursue photography, but just doesn't seem to
get the idea that he may have to do something he doesn't necessarily want to
do to stay in a field he wants to be in. In fact, after the wedding
photography discussion here I tried to interest him in the idea of applying
his skateboarding style - multiple flashes, flash combined with daylight,
lots of captured motion, etc. - to candid wedding work. Go in with a rented
2 1/4, shoot the requisite posed stuff, and then go to town. Frankly, I
think he could do really well with it and make a name for himself. But the
reaction, "Weddings?!..." Ah well.... He's quite good, too, even if he does
use N ... equipment....

- --