Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Off-Topic: Butchering Eisenstaedt
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 14:55:05 -0400

     Dave,

     I apologize.  I did not intend to take your word out of context.  I no
     longer had your original message when I addressed this topic, and only
     remembered the word "sacrilegious."  That is why I qualified my remark
     by writing, "I think."

     By the way, my hat's off to you for running a classical music station.
     I'm a huge classical music fan, and I know that in Philadelphia, where
     my parents live, their longtime classical music station WFLN no longer
     broadcasts it, leaving the city without a full-time classical station.
     It must be a VERY tough business to keep commercially viable.

     I can understand the argument that "every time a piece of music or art
     is used [commercially]...it cheapens the original," but I disagree.  I
     think art is not so fragile, not so easily cheapened as that.  And, on
     the contrary, one could as easily conclude that the "misappropriation"
     brings the art, however briefly and with whatever distortion, into the
     awareness of some who otherwise might never experience it.  Who knows!
     I can only say that such use never "cheapens the original," or "erodes
     the reputation of the creator," for me.

     Again, my apologies for taking your word out of context!

     Art Peterson
     Alexandria, VA