Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Off-Topic: Butchering Eisenstaedt
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 15:36:45 -0400

     Oh, c'mon!  There's no shame in this, no prostitution.  I think the
     original writer used the word "sacrilegious."  Give me a break!  No
     one is "Butchering Eisenstaedt."  His pictures, like those of Adams
     and Cartier-Bresson and other great photographers are reproduced in
     books and hung in museums and always can be.  That one of them gets
     used in an advertisement (as, for example, we've all seen the "Mona
     Lisa" used) may be tasteless, but so what?  Life's often tasteless,
     and business and advertising have nothing to do with art.  It's not
     as if the sole, existing print of this photograph had been defaced.
     Ted even wrote of being offended, but certainly no offense was ever
     intended, and none need be taken.  Life's too short!

     Art Peterson
     Alexandria, VA