Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic: Butchering Eisenstaedt
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 08:16:47 -0500

At 08:52 AM 7/19/98 -0400, you wrote:

>music or art is used in this way it cheapens the original.  It erodes the
reputation
>of the creator.  Beethoven didn't write his Symphony No. 9 to sell telephone

I suppose the comparison is apt. Though Beethoven sold the "Moonlight
Sonata" (though he never named it that) as a pot boiler. He was a
commercial composer of sorts. That's how he paid the bills. But the 9th
Symphony - or my favorite since I've played it in public performance about
10 times in an orchestra - the Fifth are such cultural icons, I cringe when
they are assimilated into advertising. The photo by Eisie we're talking
about is a cultural icon, and such use reduces it to a trivial tool of
hucksters. I don't like it, I don't care if it is legal. I remember my
friends in college saying that "morals have no place in business."

Great rationalization to kill people, and destroy their lives. "It's just
business."

That's all I'll say about this subject.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 Diplomacy: Say nice doggie until you find a *BIG* stick