Subject: Re: [Leica] If Leica is too expensive what would be the best alternative?
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 17:03:37 -0700

Hi Alexander,

Many years ago, as a teenager I faced the same dilemma you presented on this
list.
Being on a limited budget, I could only afford the lesser expensive cameras.
As time passed, I would trade up to better models until one day, disgusted,
I traded all for a Nikon F. Well, I use several systems now including Leica
M and Contax (and I am still broke).
I can tell you that no matter how you do it, in the end you will be spending
a bundle just as I did unless you plan strategically.

A camera can be a lifetime investment. When you consider the expenditure
over a period of 10, 20, 30 or more years, the cost of a  camera does not
seem exorbitant. Besides, the cost of equipment keeps rising so that in a
few years the value of quality equipment purchased today will still be high,
especially when inflation is considered ( a M3 today is worth more than
double its original price).

For the money and features you cannot beat the Nikon FM2n.  As an all-time
favorite for excellence in service, accuracy, and features, the Nikon F3 is
my first choice.

Buy used. Shop carefully and assemble an outfit that is appropriate to the
photography you intend to do, (buying a Noctilux because it is a macho lens
is wasting money). A solid camera outfit will serve you faithfully for many
years to come.
Good luck.

Joseph Codispoti

From: Alexander en Katinka Koning: