Subject: [Leica] Off-Topic: Butchering Eisenstaedt
From: Dave Myers <myers@bluelake.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:34:59 -0400

Hello...

I thought I'd seen everything when John Wayne showed up posthumously in
a beer commercial, but this morning I was even more surprised when I
picked up a computer magazine and found an ad for Dell computers that
used Alfred Eisenstaedt's poignant and historical photograph of the
Sailor and girl kissing.  Dell didn't simply include the picture in the
ad with some clever caption.  Their "brilliant" ad agency put a Dell
notebook computer in the girl's left hand.  For me, this borders on the
sacrilegious.  At the very least it's disrespectful.

Could it be that whoever owns the rights to that photo gave permission?
Or is it possible that Dell's agency simply "borrowed" it?  I'd be very
interested to know if anyone on the LUG knows.

Thanks.

Dave