Subject: Re: [Leica] I bought a used 90 summicron...
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:51:49 EDT

<< I recently bought a used 90mm summicron (leica M) serial 3210716.
 It's in great mint-ish condition other than one thing-- the
 little screw that holds on the front ring with the lens inscription
 and focal length around the front element looks as if it was scratched
 and painted-over (or even perhaps colored with a ball-point pen). >>

Phil, it is not necessarily a sign of tampering as you suspect.  It could
simply be sloppy workmanship.  I recently purchased a new chrome version of
this lens and had to send the first one back because the glue holding the same
front ring had dripped out and hardened.  Additionally, I have seen mangled
and painted over screws in  a couple of other Leica M lenses that I had to
send back.  This is particularly an issue on black lenses.  They seem to take
more care with the screws on the chrome lenses.

Tom Shea