Subject: [Leica] 28mm rokkor vs 28 elmarit??
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:20:00 +0000

Steve wrote:
>Not even sure what the correct name for the Leica 28 m lens is, but what
>would like to know is, how do the two compare size wise? I have the cle
28
>on approval, but it has strange white dots all over the back of the
first
>lens group. So I am thinking of the leica 28. I think it won't key the
right
>finder on the cle, and I wonder if it is much bigger? Are most of the
cle
>28s messed up? I may have to sell the cle and just use the m6.
>Steve
====================
Steve,

The CLE 28mm lens is well known for this fault, mine has it too, I
believe its the seperation of the black paint from the edges of the lens
elements. You may not see any real degradation of the image though
naturally its disappointing to look at in the lens itself.

The Elmarits (there are 3 versions to choose from I beleive) are
certainly larger and the first one wouldn't meter on the M6 (I don't know
what the situation is on the CLE, slightly more optimistic I'd have
thought, but you're right on the keying of framelines. The M6 uses a
different cam position for the 28mm, you can check this by putting your
Rokkor on your M6.

A smaller option is the recent (current?) Ricoh GR lens, f2.8, and very
petite. Smaller than both the Leitz and Rokkors, just as fast and cutting
edge design featuring 2 aspheric elements, with it being LTM it accepts
any (LTM - M) adapter you wish to put on it, thereby keying the correct
frames whether placed on the M6 or CLE. Flare control is not as good as
Leica lens though sharpness is only just off.
Another option is the Kobalux/Avenon/Pasoptik(in UK) 28/3.5, larger than
the Ricoh but the quality was highly rated by a reviewer in the British
Journal of Photography, as good as any Leica lens he maintained.

Jem