Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality control (longish)
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 13:32:17 -0700

Charles Dunlap wrote:

> I think it's time for a roll call, just to set the record straight, of
> folks who have bought new equipment, from authorized Leica dealers, that
> had to be exchanged or repaired within the first month of ownership.

My history with Leica quality control:

1 M6 body. no problems.
1 Noctilux. no problems.
1 35/2 ASPH. no problems.

that's 3 for 3.

My history with Nikon quality control:

1 F3 body. no problems. after 9 years and thousands of rolls of film, it
	"spazzed out" and would not switch on. $175 repair.
1 50/1.8. no problems.
1 35-70/2.8. no problems.
1 80-200/2.8. no problems.
1 24/2.8. no problems.
1 F5 body. no problems.
1 N90s body. no problems.

effectively 7 for 7.

i've bought more nikon gear, both new and secondhand (the above list includes
no secondhand items). but that is over a much much longer period of time. i've
had no problems with any leica (50/2) or nikon (60/2.8, 35-135/4.5, and
20-35/2.8) secondhand gear either. if there is a higher power that is arranging
this good fortune i offer my sincere thanks.

note that i don't look at the cameras or lenses very carefully, whereas
i look at the photos they take extremely critically.

mark