Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Rangefinder aligment.
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 20:42:55 -0600

><< Find the correct port for adjusting the
> horizontal rangefinder alignment, and turn it with a screwdriver until the
> images are perfectly superimposed. >>
>
>Mark, could you describe how this done?
>
>Tom Shea

Sure Tom,  Once you find the port giving access to the horizontal
adjustment screw (again, I don't know where it is on a Leica because I
don't have one), you will find that you can get a good small screwdriver in
there onto that adjustment screw.  You will know whether or not you have
found the right screw by watching the image in the rangefinder patch while
turning the screw a little bit.  If turning the screw causes the image to
move as if the focus of the lens was being moved, then you've got the
horizontal adjustment screw engaged.
   Now, put your camera on a tripod.  Aim it out the window.  Turn off your
room lights.  Aim the middle of the patch at a very distant object. (A few
miles or more is preferable.)  The object should be small and very
contrasty.  Like I said before, a star is good.  A small specular
reflection on the horizon might be good.  A sharp edged, contrasty vertical
line would be best.
   Then, set your lens at infinity focus.  (To get this perfect, you need
to be sure that the lens is really focused so that your contrasty distant
object is really in focus at the film plane.  For very distant objects,
this is the same as infinity.)   Now, without adjusting your focus, turn
the adjustment screw until the viewfinder image of your subject is exactly
superimposed on the rangefinder patch image of your subject.  Then, you are
done with the horizontal rangefinder adjustment.    The vertical adjustment
is pretty much the same idea.
- -Mark Walberg