Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic - Fiats! :*<
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:13:47 -0600

Joseph Codispoti wrote:
>>In determining the rate of failure, how the equipment is used, treated and
>>maintained is important. While I know of individuals who cannot keep
>>equipment in working order, In 40 years of photography (amateur and pro) I
>>have had only two equipment failures.
>>I have not had a single automobile failure (even though I owned two Fiats).

Sorry to be off topic, but I really have a special feeling about Fiats.
My very well treated Fiat caught on fire while I was driving it (next to
Stanford Stadium for you Palo Altans).  Suddenly, flames jumped out from
the hood.  The whole thing burned up.  The firemen said it was the second
Fiat they had put out that week!  Lucky for me the insurance company gave
me blue book value for it, which is far more than it was worth.
    When I bought the car new, I asked how long the clutch lasts.  THe guy
said, "About ten thousand miles."  I laughed and assumed that the guy
didn't know anything about the car.  Well, the clutch cable broke like
clockwork EVERY ten thousand miles.  (I actually carried a spare - always,
sometimes I carried two.)  The paint on one door oxidized to a dusty very
dull surface the first year.  The side mirror fell off.  The rearview
mirror fell off.  I'm sure there was more.    My 2 Hondas, which I've had
since 1982, have no problems, getting no maintenance other than an oil
change every 3-4000 miles.  -Mark Walberg