Subject: Re: [Leica] same exposures???
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 19:25:10 -0600

Francesco,  One possibility is that the tension on the shutter curtains is
off.  If so, this would cause the result you've got.  One way to tell
whether this is true is to take flash pictures at all of the speeds higher
than the synch speed.  The width of the slit exposed by the flash can then
be measured.  The width should be halved for every doubling of the shutter
speed.  If the width decreases by less than half for each shutter speed
doubling, then the second curtain tension needs to be increased until it is
halved with every speed doubling.     Another quicker way to do this is to
try to measure it by eye instead of on film.  Open the back of your camera,
put a light in front of it, and fire the shutter at the different speeds.
You can estimate the slit width by eye this way.  You can even hold a ruler
up at the back to measure it.
  I have not adjusted the curtain tension on a Leica, but usually it is
done with a screwdriver on a screw under the bottom plate.  I couldn't tell
you which screw is the right one on a Leica.  Someone here might know.
   Of course, it is conceiveable that the aperture on your lens is
nonlinear.  If that is the problem, it will show up only with that lens.
If it is the shutter, then it will show up with all the lenses.
- -Mark Walberg