Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo whores {was Life magazine} vs word herders
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 19:11:44 -0500

At 04:41 PM 7/8/98 +0200, you wrote:

>In the case of my magazine, which is specialized in IT, photographs are
>required to show objects (printers, copiers, PCs, etc) or people (CEO of

Well, in the context of the work you do, everything you say is absolutely
true. I actually got one of the funniest jokes I know from a screenshot in
OS/2 Magazine. For the work you do, what you say is absolutely true.

But we were, I thought, talking specifically about photojournalism. You
don't use photojournalism. You use editorial photography. Two different
animals, and two different purposes.

I don't denigrate such work. It's difficult to produce as well, but it
hardly inspires the passion that the kind of photography I care about does.
It was in the context of what I was talking about that I was feeling
tweaked, and I shouldn't have taken it that way. No offense personally
meant to you.

I'm sure a pie chart in my 401K plan's report could inspire joy or anger. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He, who will not reason, is a bigot;
he, who cannot, is a fool;
and he, who dares not, is a slave.

William Drumond, Scottish writer  (1585-1649)