Subject: Re: [Leica] Final thought on snobbery
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 07:40:59 +0100

James Burris wrote:

<<<I was visiting a zoo in the Seattle area on Sunday when I noticed a man
>with a Canon E-1 with a 600 f4 lens shooting some wolves.  While I was
>walking around the viewing area looking for an ideal angle to shoot from, I
>overheard another person ask the photographer what kind of camera it was
>with that huge lens on it.  The photographer who was clearly between shots
>and not looking through the camera said with a scowl : "an expensive one"
>and looked annoyed that the person had dared to interrupt him.  Give me a
>break.  Never mind that his set-up was taking up a quarter of the entire
>viewing area, but he also feels that he's some sort of photographic deity?
>Now that's camera snobbery.>>>>>

James,

I agree with you regarding how he responded, but I also have to agree with
the photographer. Simply because having been in his situation many times,
you are constantly asked questions and interrupted just when you are
concentrating on what you are there for. Taking pictures!

The person never asks the question while you are taking a breather, simply
because most of them ....non-photographers..... or dim witted
photographers.... never think you are "working!"

I've had people interrupt me while I'm eye to the camera with things like,
"Wow that's a big zoomar, I bet it cost. Can I look through it!" And when
you are earning your livelyhood and have gone through the same question
routine umpteen dozen times, it can get annoying. Particularly when it just
caused you to miss a shot you've spent an hour waiting for!

I handle this slightly different:

I stay the course concentrating with eye to camera and do not respond until
I'm done. Sometimes biting my tongue.  Or,

My assistant steps in and moves the offender off engaging them in
conversation out of earshot. This is one reason to always have a nice
looking female assistant....one with lots of brains and people savvy! :)

Or if the person is particularlly annoying......(here you can make-up your
own response!) :)

Polite is always better! However there are times it's just overwhelming and
you don't bite your tongue! And it doesn't have anything to do with
snobbery!!IMHO

ted