Subject: Re: [Leica] Life magazine
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 17:44:41 -0400

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 02:25 AM 7/5/98 -0400, you wrote:

SNIP

> And word people run the business. I am often tempted to get out of
> journalism and into commercial because if I have to be a whore, I might as
> well be a well-paid one. :-)  (Don't get me wrong, I don't think commercial
> photographers are really whores, but journalists who don't act like
> journalists are.)

And that is why I left newspapering for commercial work. Sometimes I'm a
whore. Sometimes I really get to be creative and cut loose. Sometimes
I'm aghast at how my photos are used vis a vis layouts and such.
Sometimes I work the same long hours I worked in newspaper. I'll admit,
it gave me great background and experience and versatility. However, at
the end of the day I'm able to live with myself a lot better than when I
worked for the daily papers. And the Leica is my salvation for keeping
my love of what I'm doing with my personal work.

- --
Carl Socolow

Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.