Subject: [Leica] off-topic Tips
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:21:00 +0000

Mark wrote:
>I found that people in the bay area (at least) of California
>generally tip higher than in London. on my recent trip there
>we got many genuine thank yous and much appreciated when I left
>15-20% tips....

=====================

Mark, I'm sure you're right. I don't know why this cultural difference is
but here are a few thoughts.

Disposable income is greater in the USA?
Historically, service industries are 'looked down upon' in Britain,
therefore waiters are ignored rather than acknowledged.
Waiters don't like being 'looked down upon' and so feel belligerent about
their work.
Tipping is seen as a reward for GOOD service, rather than a reward for
doing their job.
Waiters earn an income before tips, why can't we all get tips for our
work?

I really wish the English could work the way that Americans enjoy working
in service industries, I think our historical/cultural hang-ups are a bad
legacy. When Margaret Thatcher thought we could become the world's best
service centre she didn't know what she was talking about!

On topic, I was a waiter for a few years and bought a Leica during that
time! It cost 15GBP in 1976, not too expensive, it was an old Leica II,
body only.

Jem