Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 21:58:38 -0700

>>From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
 >>Since having the M I've realized what a disservice the auto-SLRs have done
 >>to amateur photographers

i don't mean to "pick up" on any one correspondent, but several people
have now written in about this.

it strikes me that many of you are looking for external reasons for personal
"failings". the disservice is done by the individual, not the equipment they
use.

i take great pictures. i've taken great pictures with many different cameras,
many different lenses, many different films, of many different subjects. *i*
made the photo great. not the camera. not the lens. not the film. not the
subjects.

i've taken alot of really crappy pictures too. alot more crappy pictures than
great pictures. yet every crappy picture informs me, assists me in taking
the great pictures.

the same is true of the equipment. i've used some crappy equipment, and
it serves to inform me that i can indeed take pictures with crappy gear.
and the crappy pictures i take with my leica inform me that it's not the
gear that is at issue here.

it's the artist.

mark