Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:25:03 -0800

>if we are getting pernickity, and for the price i think we are entitled to,
>i think they could alter the design of the shutter speed dial such that
>it is easier to adjust with your eye to the view finder (for the M7
>obviously). the dial is very "short" and getting (my) fingers around it
>is kind of awkward unless i look at what i am doing.
>
>mark

I also use a Nikon FM for macro work, and I find that I never look at the
shutter speed indication in the viewfinder. This is probably because I use
the M6 95% of the time, and I'm not used to seeing shutter speed in there.

I find that I have developed an exposure memory with the M. I look at the
settings before looking in the viewfinder and I know by touch how much I've
adjusted aperture or shutter speed before I take the picture. I used to
wonder how the photographers who put pictures in photo books knew the
aperture and shutter speed that they used for a particular photo. I assumed
that they were stopping to take notes. I realize now that they were
probably involved enough in the process to remember what they did. I can
look at my slides now from a couple of months ago and know exactly what the
exposure settings were for at least 1/3 of them. For the rest I can come
reasonably close.

I also _like_ the shortness of the M6 shutter speed dial. I usually turn it
with one finger pushed along the side. This is easier for me than, for
instance, the Nikon FM shutter speed dial which is tall and is better
turned with two fingers. I also find adjusting the shutter speed faster on
the M.

I hope that the M7 does incorporate some of the changes that would make it
easier for you and other people to use. I know I'm not neccessarily typical
or correct. I'll be happy as long as the M6 remains available, which I
suspect it will (much like the R6.2).

Happy shooting.

- -Charlie