Subject: Re: [Leica] my M7
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:06:26 -0800

>Come on, every camera has a viewing window
>so we can see our film type at a glance.  Very necessary.

I don't like these. They require foam light insulation and that will
eventually break down and cause a light leak. I know; I must be crazy.
We'll never agree.

>but just move it a fraction of an inch towards the front
>edge of the body so I can change the shutter speed without looking up.

I can't see the advantage. We're 0 for 2 now.

>Plus, every dial I have seen stops at
>different places for each ASA setting......some slightly before, some dead
>on, some slightly after.  Not good.

I'm with you on this one. The markings should be about half as wide and
they should line up very precisely. I don't mind the basic design, however.
I don't need this dial to be cluttering up the other controls, so it should
stay where it is.

Ok now we're 1 for 3 (more or less).

>4.  An "R" lever that stays in place.

Never had a problem with it. Maybe I'm lucky. I agree that, in principal,
it should stay in place, but it sounds like a problem specific to your
camera.

I guess that makes 2 for 4.

But if they're going to justify a whole new model number I doubt they are
going to simply make a couple of little tweaks. At a minimum they'll have
to add aperture priority auto exposure. In doing this they will need an
electronically controlled shutter, so we will also get 1) higher flash sync
2) a faster top shutter speed (they'd be crazy not to).

I'm not too concerned about what they do as long as the M6 remains
available, which I suspect it will.

I seriously doubt they'll introduce AF. Maybe a spot meter setting would be
nice.

I suspect that they will keep the same body design overall (remembering the
fate of the M5). It might be a few mm larger, but not greatly.

Who knows, it might not happen.

How long's it been since we had an M7 thread? It looks like we're going to
have another.

As my mom used to say: "Everyone play nice!"

- -Charlie
             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu