Subject: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 22:21:44 -0700

Thank you Eric, I suspect you and I think along the same lines on many
fronts. I do indeed go into the P&S mode at family gatherings and where I
only want record photographs. I don't want to work for those. And the Leica
gives me enough automation for that end.

I taught a Leica Workshop this past week. A couple of evenings and all day
Saturday photographing San Francisco. Even though most people had a
reasonable amount of Leica hardware (and Tom Brichta, the Leica rep,
supplied them with more stuff) it was evident that most of them did not
understand how depth of field is controlled, what hyperfocal distance is,
or how to use long lenses and slow shutter speeds. I didn't have time to
get into anything else. I spent a considerable amount of time teaching and
showing what the f/stop ring really does for you, and how to use it. How to
create Bokeh (no... I didn't use that word!) and how to create endless
depth of field. And how to use a 280 or 350 or longer lens at 1/15th sec (R
camera) without having mirror vibration ruin the photograph. It became
evident that the general photographing public have little (or no) knowledge
of how the science of photography works. Even though they have Leicas,
their mind set is P&S. Several participants had 35/1.4 ASPH lenses. But had
no idea (until I showed them) what you can do at f/1.4 . They usually used
ISO 200 or 400, outdoors, cranked all the way out to 1/500 @ f/16.
Basically against the stop. Like buying a BMW M5 as a car to run errands
around town. The true virtues of the equipment is neither conceived nor
used. If the M6 had a "P" mode, that's where they would be.

I got a lot of smiles and "thank you Jim" from the participants. I bet they
will be back for more. They really wanted to know how to take creative
control over their photographs. And they all wanted the little plastic
wallet size hyperfocal cards.

Jim