Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and 15 year old technology
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:36:18 -0400

At 01:44 PM 6/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>a computer never
>controls my Leica. I have never used P, A, or T mode for creative
>photography. I do the creating, not the camera
>
>Well... I tried. You all seem to completely miss my point. Did anyone out
>there understand what I said?

Indeed yes, Jim. The Leica Ms' manual features and intuitive feel give me
more  control of my image-making too.

There's an article along these lines in the latest issue of Camera Arts
magazine by Jim Hughes, who was editor of the orignal Camera Arts, if
anyone else here  remembers that magazine. His piece mentions Leicas but is
really about the advantages of rangefinders and how resuming their use --
in his case, some Cannon 7s and an early Retina -- helped him regain joy in
photography.

Here's a quote of the passage I found most meaningful, and I trust I'm not
violating copyright laws in passing this along:

''I understand the interpretive intricacies of exposure today because
bracketing, or depending on a built-in computerized instant-off-the-film
automatic meter, was not an option when I was learning. I find that
pictures tend to be better the harder the photographer, not the camera, has
to work. Call it concentration, or intensity, or focus. Light is what the
photographers need to see, but it takes practice to see it well.''

He says a lot there, I think. That's not to say auto modes have no place.
But this old technology can allow more control, if you want it and know how
to use it.

Bill Welch