Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin and TMZ
From: Bill Welch <bill.welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 16:01:58 -0400

Thib, Obviously you'll get many different recommendations on development of
TMZ at 3200. I'll give you two. For quite a while I used Tmax 1+4 at 80
degrees, 6 minutes with minimal agitation to hold down contrast. I have now
switched to Ilford Microphen stock at 75 degrees for 9 minutes with
standard Ilford agitation. I find I get good shadow detail and no blocking
in the highlights. I can easily get another stop by extending development
just a bit longer, say to 10 minutes.

I shoot a lot of this for night sports and am pleased with the results I
get with Microphen. I find the negatives print effortlessly with my
difusion enlargers, Focomat V35 or Aristo cold-light head on a DII. I got
thin negatives with Xtol, but obviously others get results they like with
this new formula. I'll have to do more testing with it. The important thing
 is to do a lot of experimenting and find what gives you pleasing and
reliable results. And be consistent.

On the temperature issue, warmer developer reduces development time;
minimizing developing time is one way to hold down grain.

Also, Erwin Puts mentioned he found the nominal rating of TMZ at 800 to
1000. I believe this is consistent with the Kodak literature, though I
haven't read it lately. The 3200 rating is of course a two-stop push. TMZ's
relatively flat characteristics at nominal speed are consistent with a film
designed for pushing.

I find it truly a wonderful film. We're lucky to have it.

Bill Welch