Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm 2.0 Aspheric
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:15:26 -0800

The LHSA review was more like a summary of opinions exchanged over a couple
of beers than a real test of the lens.
(http://wanda.phl.pond.com/~lhsa/articles/asph.html) I enjoyed it for what
it was, but Erwin Puts's reviews online address the optical performance of
the lens more thoroughly.
(http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/lenses/pages/l11879.html) The two
tests agree on the large points:

The 35/2 ASPH

1) Has higher contrast and resolution at f/2 and f/2.8.
2) The 35/2 ASPH has a much flatter field than the previous versions.

In addition, Mr. Puts noted that the aspherical version extended the
excellent performance at middle apertures farther towards the edges than
the previous versions.

In the LHSA review the authors both note the increased weight (100g) of the
new lens. After mounting the lens on an M6 in the store I immediately
noticed how well-balanced and stable it felt compared to the previous
version. To my hands, the new lens feels easier to hand hold at low shutter
speeds. Add to that the wider aperture ring and the improved lens shade and
the lens is a nice addition. Judging from the photos in the LHSA article it
retains the lovely Bokeh of the 35/2 heritage.

I agree with the LHSA article, the 35/2 ASPH can't replicate the "glow" of
one author's scratched and fogged 1st generatrion 35/2, but if you don't
mind adding a Softar filter to the ASPH when you need that effect you might
find the new lens to be a better choice all around.

- -Charlie