Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:51:54 -0800

>But if Leica does not have much credibility amongst such photojournalists
>where will it find a market in future?

It doesn't sound like the issue is credibility since you mention that
several of these photographers use (or at least own) Leicas for personal
work. Such a situation seems fairly common among some in the LUG--they need
something else for some or all professional assignments, but prefer the
Leica when they're on their own time.

What Leica is sorely missing is an investment in marketing. I got
interested in Leica not because I had ever seen one or an ad. for one. My
first awareness came in a Pop Photo (of all places) picture caption in
which the photographer said that the detail and contrast were only possible
with the incredible Leica glass. I knew that there had to be something
better than the Nikon lenses I had, but this was my first hint about what
that was.

Leica needs to target the magazines in the US and abroad which have readers
likely to want and be able to afford their cameras. They have a very
conservative approach to advertising and do a poor job of explaining
exactly what sets Leica cameras apart. One of the best ads. that I've ever
seen for a camera was the Contax G1 ad. that ran in several of the highest
circulation photo magazines. It very clearly explained what made the camera
different and worth buying. Leica ads. essentially assume that you already
know what Leica is.

If Leica does embark on an improved ad. campaign they need to hire the
right agency. They need a US agency for their ads. in this country. The
text in their promotional brochures is written in a strange German English
with funny quotation marks.

- -Charlie