Subject: [Leica] Japanese Leica Concern
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:05:00 +0000

mark wrote:

>another possibility for the future may be that one of the japanese
>companies with deep pockets, matsushita (nikon) or canon might
>buy a controlling interest in leica and carry it into the future.
>if this happens i hope they have respect for purchasers like
>me, who don't want a multimatrix newfangled autoeverything device
>in our leicas (because we already have one in our camera bags).
>
>mark

An interesting perspective on the Japanese concern for the Preservation
of Classic Camera Manufacturers is illustrated on the web site:
http://plaza10.mbn.or.jp/~yasuhara/index-e.html

This is the Yasuhara Co., a small concern that intends to produce a Screw
Leica-fit camera this year. Part of the reasoning for not wanting to make
an M-fit camera is that it might 'kill off' Leica as a company. That's
exaggerating the point, but they talk about the Japanese expansion of the
camera industry which effectively killed off a lot of other manufacturers
and they have no wish to play a part in that again.
I'm sure the market will be very small for their camera, but intruiging
none the less.

Jem