Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm 2.0 Aspheric
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 21:27:57 +0100

Tom Shea wrote:

>I just read the article in Viewfinder (on the LHSA Web Site) regarding the 35
>2.0 aspherical lens in comparison to the previous versions.  The distinguished
>authors conclude that the aspherical is only slightly better than the previous
>lens.  Anyway, it is interesting to see that the differences are rather small>>

Hi Tom,

From my use of the 35 Summilux 1.4 and it's aspherical counterpart I only
found a difference that was "quite noticable" when used wide open or down a
1/2 to full stop.

For my money, if a photographer isn't prepared to accept shooting lots of
images wide open or very close,  my monatery common sense suggestion is,
"don't buy aspherical!" As the aspherical costs a bundle more than the
regular lens, why spend a pile of money if you are going to be shooting at
8-11-16, where it will only give you the same image quality cut in the film
as the regular lens?

Wide open??   ....aspherical all the way...absolutely incredible!! :)

But then I'm the one who beleives using the widest possible aperture and
the highest possible shutter speed is the way to go!:) So what else can I
say in this mode...it's aspherical baby! :)

ted