Subject: [Leica] RE: Newbie at a wedding shower
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 9:11:05 -0500

The first question is what kind of pictures does she want?   My wife
hates grainy pictures and you're not going to have a chance to reshoot
this one.   Pushing film to 3200 is going to give you grain and more
grain, especially if areas are out of focus.  I would care more about
what she wants than want Ted or anyone else recommends.  Does she want
B&W photos?????

Second, I'll take the minority position on the list and say you do want
to use flash,    I've never been in a home that didn't have a few regular
incandescent bulbs in the table lamps.  Couple that with the overhead
fluorescents and you've got a color nightmare that is impossible to
correct at any lab.  Besides that, what looks like even lighting to the
eyes is rarely so.  My in-laws have a high ceiling lighting design
similar to what was described.  You'll  be lucky to be shooting at 1/60th
at f/2 with 1600 or 3200 if it's similar.  Women are pretty finicky when
it comes to pictures and a blond having even a slight green cast to her
hair will hate the photos.  Not to mention if their skin looks sick. With
flash you'll also have more depth of field.  Trust me, they'll want
pictures where a number of people are in-focus......

Third, you are guy at wedding shower, every one is seated and you will be
moving around.  You are already way out of place, using a flash won't
make you that much more noticeable.  Everyone else who brings a PS camera
will use a flash.  I seriously doubt they want rolls of film of the
event, in fact they may only want 24 pictures.  I'd confirm that though.
I'd also check to see if they have anything special planned that you need
to be ready to photograph, such as a College roommate who flew back from
Japan for the shower etc.

I would try some using fast film, without flash to photograph the
bride-to-be opening presents.     But shoot the whole thing with 3200 ASA
and no flash...... No way........... At least not without having a waiver
form signed by the bride......

Lastly, I avoid wedding and baby showers like the plague, they are
definitely woman's events straight from Venus.  Do you really want to do
this???   I'd try to convince them to have several of the ladies take the
shots with their PS and I'd go home to Mars and watch Everyone loves
Raymond or read a Leica book.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador