Subject: Re: [Leica] Lead boxes for X-rays
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:28:21 -0800

>On this matter regarding my recent trip to the US., i had roughly 20 rolls
>of film placed in one of those x-ray bags bought at local camera store. I
>had it went thru xray about 10 times...a few in the Philippines, alot in
>the US, a few in Singapore... Well, all I can say is, is that they work. I
>couldn't find anything on my film. Knock on wood. Fastest film I placed
>there was an ISO800 film.

This is like saying that tying a pink ribbon to my car antenna keeps me
safe from stray kangaroos in the roadway (I live in California).

The foil bags don't block X-rays, but the X-rays in the scanners you passed
through didn't harm the film. I went through about 10 X-ray machines with
30 rolls of film in April and I saw that the bag didn't block X-rays, but I
also had no ill effects on the film.

The real concern is new X-ray machines that the FAA is buying that will, by
their admission, fry film.

- -Charlie