Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:59:32 -0400

I respectfully disagree!
Working in a minilab, doing photos every weekend I tend to see a trend, at
least here in good ole Greensboro.
One- Kodak film is preferred by the average snapshooter about 7:1 here. I
don't know why; for the most part, you can't tell a 4x6 from Kodak from a
4x6 from Fuji if the machine is balanced properly.
Two- APS accounts for only about 5-8% of our total volume. It doesn't seem
to be growing by leaps and bounds, either

I had read years ago that even during the depression, Kodak was a sound, and
expanding business. People took photos even during the hard times, and kept
Kodak prospering. I would suspect that even if newspapers, magazines and web
journalist go digital, film will be the preferred medium for many, many
moons yet to come. People love to snat away! Everyweekend I have a box of
photos of feet, ceilings, the inside of cars, out of focus faces at the end
of out of focus arms, and countless science fair projects! The average
consumer, from where I sit, has more slides and photos scanned, than they
buy digital cameras, by a wide margin!

I had heard similar doom and gloom when the portable video cameras came out;
however, even though it pretty much killed the home movie scene, the
photofinishing industry, along with the production of film, has continued to
grow!

I for one, do not intend to rush out and sell my Leica gear. Besides, the
Aztec calendar say we only have until December 21, 2012, and then it'll be a
moot point! I intend to be there with my Leicas locked and loaded.... :)
Dan'l

dwpost@msn.com