Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:44:42 -0500

At 02:57 AM 6/22/98 -0400, you wrote:

>The days of emulsion film are numbered.  When you see an entire photo
dept. at
>a major newspaper or news agency go digital, look out, its here!  News
footage
>used to be done on film until video proved better.

Not even close. News photography has special needs that make digital
imaging compelling regardless of the compromise of quality. When you're
printing on toilet paper, it really doesn't matter that much if you don't
have to absolute best image quality.

On another point, Canon is THE leader in digital imaging now. Leica has to
be in second place with the S1. Nikon's (Fuji's) and Minolta's digital
cameras are jokes in comparison. Two totally different approaches to
digital imaging, but for each purpose, the cameras are very impressive. But
they won't hurt film until the S3 comes out the size of an M6 with 150 meg
image file size, and the equivalent of 100-3200 ISO available. Then I'll
sell my R and M bodies and digitize all my photos.

Other approaches to photography that required 35mm cameras won't be
converting en mass to digital for some time to come. There's lots of time
left.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English...no human being has been reported to have learned
dolphinese.

Carl Sagan