Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: Alan Ball/LUNA<AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:16:27 +0200

To Arturo (and other worried users),

One point must not be forgotten: when digital gets to the level of quality
and price/quality ratio where it can replace film for all applications,
this will also mean that the cameras and the CCDs (or whatever digitalizing
technology used) will require very high quality lenses. The requirements
could even be tougher than the ones imposed (or permitted) by film.

This certainly leaves market space for the likes of Leica or Zeiss, even if
it seems obvious these companies will not be leading suppliers of the
high-tech active elements of the camera itself (just like today Leica is
not a leading supplier of shutters, electronic telemetering devices or
other strategic parts of contemporary cameras).

If Panasonic (for example) is likely to master some or most of these
elements, that company is not likely to launch itself into high end lenses
production. There are plenty of complementarities out there and possible
partnership agreements, somewhere round the lines of the Zeiss/Kyocera
partnership. What is positively certain, is that any picture taking device
carrying a "Made in Germany" label will most probably be made out of over
90 pct of elements produced in the Far East. Which is OK for me but must be
quite an unromantic perspective for die-hard Leica fans.

Nothing prevents Leica from announcing to the world some kind of roadmap
for a transition to full digital product lines which would guarantee
compatibility with today's glass. I believe it would be wise for them to do
so: Canon is promoting today a new generation of very good digital products
that use all or part of the EOS system, there have also been previous
generation not so good offers from Nikon and Minolta. The time seems right
for Leica to come out of the woods with perspectives closer to 35mm
photographers requirements than the purely studio S1 concept. I would
really hate to be stuck in a marginal niche technology (film) because I
chose to invest in the Leica product lines.

I want a Leica official and public commitment to come out with a digital
camera compatible with my M lenses, and designed for the same applications
as the M system is used for today, as soon as the technology meets a fixed
and published set of requirements.

Alan
Brussels-Belgium

AJSymi@aol.com on 22/06/98 04:57:14