Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 summicron and Canadian lenses
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 00:35:00 -0300

Having both Canadian and German R and M lenses, but not of the same model,
I have come to the conclusion I like the build quality of the Canadian
lenses better.  The Canadian lenses I have all seem to have gorgeous glass,
apertures that form round circles with many blades (10 blades), and smooth
operation.  I do not have the equivalent german lenses to compare them to,
but the German and Japaneses lenses of Leica that I do have do not have
that more circular, more blade aperture (6 Blades) and have a different
look to the glass.

I must admit that two of the Canadian lenses are the 180 APO 3.4, and the
Noctilux which probably have the rare glass in them anyways.  The
Tele-Elmarit and the 35mm Summicron for the M are Canadian as well and seem
to have a different build quality in comparison to say my new 50mm Elmar.
The elmar aperture does not appear round and has fewer blades in it than
the other lenses from Canada.

This difference may be that the Canadian lenses are of older design and
still uses the build tecniques of the sixties and seventies.  The aperture
blade count may not make a difference anyways, and it probably isn't fair
compairing a $3,000 Noctilux to a $1,000 Elmar.  The elmar takes the better
pictures in brighter light anyways.

Regards,

Robert Stevens