Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #109
From: TonynyX44@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 18:41:49 EDT

First I'd like to say thanks to all that replied, since I can't cover everyone
in this message. Wasn't sure if R questions would upset the balance in here.
;-)

How are the batteries in the winder and in the camera? One thing to try
immediately, take all the batteries out of winder and body, clean contacts
and replace. Before you do that take a Q tip (cotten swab) and clean the
contacts on the body of the back cover and where they make contact to the
body.

I was away from home in Long Island and stopped in an authorized Leica
retailer, who luckily was nearby. Their "Leica man" was also puzzled by the
problem. He tried your suggestions and still nothing. Naturally when I got
home the thing worked fine!

All of this may do nothing, but I installed a new winder and it didn't work
so I did what I always do with things electronic....cleaned every contact
and away it went like crazy and has never stopped since.  However, that
doesn' always answer the situation.

It didn't in my case..we tried it with and without the winder.

<<<<BTW this is a demo model (all papers and in the box, 1 year Leica
warranty) that I got from Stan Tamarkin (reputedly a reliable dealer who
doesn't deal in gray market items) and I "saved" $400 off the standard
$2,395 price. Now I'm beginning to wonder. When returning this to him
should I ask for ANOTHER body instead of having them fix this one? This
really ticks me off since I just got the camera a week ago.>>>>>>

Tamarkin's is a very fine dealer and with the camera under warranty there
isn't any doubt they'll look after it immediately. The glitch you are
referring to maybe the result of it being a "demo" model and at sometime a
tad heavy handed "player" unknowingly did something that no one was aware
of.

That's what I suspect..just my luck some gorilla handled mine.

If they replace it with a new body, you might find you'll have to cough up
the "$400" you saved by getting a demo.

Think I'm gonna go that route Ted.  Hell I spent this much I might as well
cough up the extra 400. At least I bought the lens new...which has been fine
all along.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant