Subject: Re: [Leica] Pricing help w/ SL & lenses
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 15:11:11 -0700

RBucha7924@aol.com wrote:
> He wants about $1,600 for the body & lenses.  Have asked
> several dealers and have told me it wasn't worth the effort.

I agree with Mark Kronquist that $1200, or maybe a little more, would be
a reasonable price for these items.  Good prices on these items in my
experience are:

SL needing repairs -- about $200 if in average cosmetic shape, $350 if
perfect.
35/2.8 2-cam -- about $350
50/2 2-cam -- about $200
90/2.8 2-cam -- about $300
135/2.8 2-cam -- about $300

which gives a total of $1350.  These are all nice lenses, although all
of them except the 135 have been recomputed since the days of the SL.
But the original 35/2.8, 50/2, and 90/2.8 were still very good lenses.
I have both the old and new 50/2 Summicron, and I don't see that the new
lens makes a tremendous amount of difference (the old lens is a design
similar to the Summicron-M of the late sixties).

When looking at SL's, all other things being equal, there are some fixes
you should look for, because they're expensive to do nowadays.

1. Metal lens release instead of red plastic release, which breaks off.
2. Newer ridged meter cell.
3. New battery holder, with battery spring with a little raised solder
nub on it.
4. Check the film take-up spool for broken plastic parts -- the newer
all-metal takeup spool is more durable.

Also watch for prism separation, which shows up at the edges of the VF
(and I don't just mean a slight bluish color at the very edge, which
every SL VF I've looked at has).

- -Patrick