Subject: Re: [Leica]Re: Leica Serial Numbers
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 14:41:49 -0700

Frank Dernie wrote:

> The numbers are published in numerous Leica books. For example Numbers
> 700000 to 710000 were reserved for the first Ms. Your Summicron is also
> 1954 according to the records lens numbers 1124001 to 1236000 were
> allocated to 1954.
> My favourite Book about Leica is "Leica the first 70 Years" by Gianni
> Rogliatti.

I thought I should point out that the numbers published in Rogliatti,
for example, are sometimes inaccurate, especially for items made in the
late sixties and later.  For example, I recently corresponded with some
very kind people at Leica who confirmed for me that the SL MOT was
introduced in 1969, despite Rogliatti listing none of these as appearing
until 1972.  In general, they said, the serial numbers for cameras in
lists over 1200000 are not reliable.

- -Patrick