Subject: Re: Was: [Leica] Noctilux Now: Summilux
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:05:23 EDT

<<
 I don't mean this to sound caustic, but why?  The current M Summilux is a
 fine lens.  Its hard to imagine any replacement adding much, except perhaps
 to the price. >>

Dan, it is certainly a legitimate question that you ask.  Although I have
never used one, the 50 1.4 has a reputation (based upon the various published
test reports) as being soft at 1.4 and 2.0.  I note, however that the reports
note that it is very good at the smaller apertures.

Of course I realize that sharpness is not everything, but for this particular
focal length and aperture, I would like the sharpest lens possible.

Tom Shea