Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz and Leica Glass
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 22:26:28 -0700

Marc James Small wrote:

> But, yes, the issue IS important.  It is a myth that Leica ever produced
> its own optical glass.  I cannot understand why seemingly intelligent folks
> cannot understand the simple language that Leica uses, that they have never
> produced their own glass.  Period.
>
> Where is the mystery in all this?

Marc, since you seem to be making a strong statement here, I wonder if I
might be able to get you to be more precise.  Is it your claim that
there are no production lenses for the Leica M cameras that contain any
elements made from glass that was actually melted and poured at the
Leica glass lab?

If that is your claim, then every bit of evidence I can find, even the
letter quoted in Eastland's book that you mentioned, indicates that you
are mistaken.

- -Patrick