Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz and Leica Glass
From: Michael Garmisa <kilemall@shell.excelsior.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 22:49:32 -0400 (EDT)

On 01-Jun-98 Marc James Small wrote:
> At 12:42 PM 6/1/98 -0700, Bryan Willman, aka "BMW" wrote:
>>This is really sort of an odd thing to get hung up on.
>
> I haven't the foggiest idea what the "Ford Rouge River Plant" may be, and
> have never heard of them in connexion with camera or lens production, so I
> cannot comment on this.  Was this a Wollensak or Kodak factory?
>
> But, yes, the issue IS important.  It is a myth that Leica ever produced
> its own optical glass.  I cannot understand why seemingly intelligent folks
> cannot understand the simple language that Leica uses, that they have never
> produced their own glass.  Period.
>
> Where is the mystery in all this?
>
> Marc
People are hung up on it because they would like to think there len is better
than the competition for yet another reason, because leica makes their own
glass and no one else can use it.  Whether this is true or not doesn't matter
because bottom line the lenses are amazing and they blow the competion away.
Although it does sound cool to say they make thier own glass

- --
Michael Garmisa <kilemall@shell.excelsior.net>  ICQ# 11583837
http://shell.excelsior.net/~kilemall/      01-Jun-98 22:47:31
PGP key at: http://shell.excelsior.net/~kilemall/kilemall.asc