Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Superb Leica R8
From: JTEasley@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 19:49:17 EDT

For the last seven or eight years I have used both an F4 and an M6, and now an
F5 and an M6.  For my professional work (photojournalism) I now use mostly the
F5 (and a backup F2), and have used the M6 mostly for my own work.  Then two
months ago I bought an R8.  I have not been so happy with a camera since I got
my first 35mm camera (Argus C-3) when I was fourteen years old.  I just love
it.  The ergonomics are great (I have large hands) and I agree with the
comment that it has just the right amount of electronics.  And I have to laugh
at those comments about the R8 being heavy.  It may be heavy compared to the
M6, but not compared to the F5 (or Canon's EOS).  Along with a couple of prime
lenses, I got the 80-200 f4 made for Leica by Kyocera.  It may not be as fast
as Nikon's zoom for this range (2.8), but a lot of my work is outdoors in good
light and the faster lens does not make much difference.  I have now used the
R8 with that zoom instead of my F5, and I can't tell you how much happier I
(and my back) are.  Carrying the F5 and the 80-200 is like walking around with
a cement block hanging around your neck.  The R8 is a featherweight by
comparison.

I realize that these are subjective factors, and one persons delightful camera
is another persons ugly clunker.  But count me among the R8's biggest fans.

J. T.