Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Age
From: "vonohlen" <vonohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 16:40:31 -0700

|Gary Todoroff <datamaster@humboldt1.com> writes:

|My first Leicas were purchased when I was 22 in 1968. I was making a =
little
|over |a dollar an hour, but had access to inexpensive used models at my =
work in
|Stockholm. Within a year I had two bodies (black M2's) and four lenses, =
and
|not much money. Today I marvel at what good priorities I had way back =
then!

In 1968, the German price list shows the Leica M4 (I do not have an M2 =
pricelist) as costing DM 855 (US$214).  With the Summicron1:2/50mm it =
costs DM 1.283 (US$321).  How many other cameras can you use for 30 =
years and, if so desiring,  still sell it at much above what you paid =
for it (or for even what you paid for it)???

Leica cameras and lenses are not expensive (particularly if you buy them =
used) if you consider your cost, your usage, the remaining =
functionality, and how much you could sell them for years later.  Also, =
they are never really obsolete (IMO).

|I still have both cameras and all but one of the lenses. So what should =
|do to celebrate our 30th anniversary?

I celebrated mine with a CLA (the first one).

Regards, Bill