Subject: Re: [Leica] undeserved praise ?
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 00:10:12 +0200

At 19:58 25.05.1998 +0200, you wrote:

>As for the 90mm/2.0 lens, the guru of all Leica lenses, Erwin Puts, suggests
>that in the 90mm length, the 2.8 Elmarit-M is a better choice. Or if you
>want speed, then the 1.4/75mm Summilux. You should take a look at Erwin's
>home page,  http://www.imx,nl/photosite/leica/m/lenses before buying.

Sorry, to argue on that view - it's not the only one, even
not a good one, and it's uncomplete.

If I remember correct, Erwin mentions, that the 2/90 M Summicron
is famous for its creamy bokeh, and Laney reports, that Leitz
needed 22 years, to surpass the first version of this lens by
*minor* advantages (as Erwin also confirms).

All in all, the 2/90 M Summicron, *1-st or 2-nd version*, is
still the first choice for any portrait or b/w photographer.

The 1.4/75 is nice, but not because of it's speed - that's an
additional.

And, the 2.8/90 is nice also, maybe because of its sharpness and
its price, but these are not the only parameters, that count in
photography.

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm