Subject: [Leica] Scanning B&W negs with the Nikon Super Coolscan
From: Myers Pete <MyersPete@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 22:59:01 EDT

I would appreciate any feedback from a Nikon SuperCoolscan user on scanning
B&W negs. My concern is this: scanners are primarly designed for scanning
transparencies - not negs. While a transparency will have a delta D of 3.6 or
so, a neg has a delta D of perhaps 1.2-1.4. Since the scanner CCDs are linear,
the small delta D for a neg should not yield a very high gray scale depth in
the final scan.

Is this true in practice, or is there a circuit in the scanner that changes
the scanner's gamma when it scans negs?

Pete