Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning B&W negs with the Nikon Super Coolscan
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 21:06:14 -0700

Myers Pete wrote:

> I would appreciate any feedback from a Nikon SuperCoolscan user on scanning
> B&W negs.

i've never scanned any monochrome negatives, but i have scanned several
hundred color negatives. i find that i get better results, in general,
using negatives as source material as opposed to slides. it's easier,
at first, to get good results from slides, but once you get the hang
of scanning negatives the results are more impressive.

the nikon software is excellent, and makes easy work of doing either. i've
been very pleased with creating monochrome end results with color scans.

you don't mention photoshop. i'd suggest that it's a necessary component
of any serious scanning work.

you can see some examples of my scans at:

http://www.steinberg.net/~mark/gallery

ps-> some of the scans were from slides taken with a leica mini ii, i am
only a very recent m user.