Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing lag time with Leicas
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 08:30:16 -0400

At 10:23 PM 22-05-98 -0700, Francesco wrote:
>This is the same thing I have found since I converted to Leica from Nikon.
>AF is VERY helpful when shooting people.....especially models.  I used to
>shoot models with an F5 and
[snip]

In the part that I snipped you mentioned that it takes upwards of 8 seconds
to get a shot away.  This seems way to long.  With a little practice, you
should be able to focus the M6 very quickly,  In a studio situation, where
you are probably using relatively small lens openings, focus probably
doesn't have to be that precise, and it isn't as if the model is going
anywhere. Also, you should try to avoid the habit of hunting back and forth
for the correct focus point.  With the M-rangefinder, you should be able to
focus the lens in one pass.

Having said all this, I find in my case that I prefer reflex cameras in
studio shooting, but not neccessarily AF cameras.  If you are familiar with
some of the subject matter I work with, I find that my AF cameras have
problems locking into focus, and can be very annoying.  My favourite camera
lens combo in the studio is a Nikon F2 with 85/1.4 lens.

Dan C.