Subject: RE: [Leica] Focusing lag time with Leicas
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 10:40:19 +0200

On Saturday, May 23, 1998 6:23 AM, Five Senses Productions
[SMTP:fls@home.com] wrote:
> This is the same thing I have found since I converted to Leica from
Nikon.
> AF is VERY helpful when shooting people.....especially models.  I used to
> shoot models with an F5 and I could point the center spot at an eye or
> other important bodily part and focus with the AF-ON button, then compose
> the shot and shoot with the shutter release all within 2-3 seconds.

Last year, I had the chance to use a F90x during a few months, with the
85mmf1.8 AF. And this also was a great portrait shooting machine. By this I
mean perfect focusing on all (or almost all) the roll and near to perfect
metering on all the roll.

 >  NOW,
> with the M and R cameras, it is a whole different story.  With the M6, I
have
> to point the RF square at an important feature, slowly maneuver the lens
> until I have precise focus (this takes the longest), recompose, then
shoot,
> and hope the model has not given up on me and changed her facial
expression
> or moved an inch or two backwards so that focus is off again.  This whole
> procedure takes me up to 8 seconds per frame.

This is my experience as well, with the 90mm lens or with the 50mm at the
wider apertures. The average 'portrait' tools. Careful focusing with these
lenses in those conditions does (and should) take some time and
concentration and once you focussed on that &##@#! near eye it is sometimes
faster to bend back and forward looking through the M6 to follow the
model's movements than to keep on turning the focusing ring.

This is not the best way of using the M system. You are shooting with MF
requirements (or handicaps) with none of the MF advantages. But I do get
some great portraits with my M system anyway. Would not want to rely on
that tool to make a living in that field nevertheless.

> Since I started shooting models with Leica, I have noticed a higher
percentage
> of out of focus shots than I got with the F5.

I've been happy with the reliability of focusing with the M: it takes a bit
longer with the lenses mentionned hereabove but I get a low rate of
failures. Much lower than what I got with a G2 in the same conditions.
Again, any modern AF SLR will do just as well (or better) and faster. I
would probably opt today for a Canon +85mm f1.2 + 135mmf2 for 35mm pro
portrait photography.

Why use a M6 then ? For street photography, travel photography, indoors
flashless discreet photography, also for the pleasure and the tactile
feedback. But certainly not for studio portraits or outdoors glamour
sessions...